You know those historical reports (hadith
) of Prophet Muhammad stating that mastering a certain verse or concept within the Qur’an, is akin to knowing all of your faith? Simply put, a surrender to God can be explained in a single concept within Revelation. For me, that one concept is the Qur’anic view of the human soul
. It explains that the soul knows right from wrong. The Qur’an continues, stating that the one who nourishes their soul is the one who succeeds.
Just as the farmer toils away at the land to produce a good crop, providing sunshine, water, and good soil, so should we be farmers for our souls.
For the past couple years, that’s the state of mind I’ve been in; putting that core principle into practice. What better way to nourish my soul than by becoming the best househusband I can be? Of course, I’ve made several mistakes along the way and those struggles pretty much threw my blogging out the window. I’ll write about all of that in the coming months, but for now, I’ve broken up my househusbandly duties into five areas.. and I’m excited to shift the content of hijabman.com to reflect these aspects of my life:
1. Raising our children. WarriorPrincess is almost 7 years old now and as feisty as ever. WarriorPrincess#2 is due in April. And we have begun the process of adopting a WarriorPrince in the future.
2. Nourishing our bodies through diet and exercise. We’ve done away with most processed foods (and the additives, ‘natural flavorings’ and crap that comes with it) and cook good, wholesome food throughout the week. MrsHM attends zumba classes regularly, and I’ve been going to a fitness bootcamp 3x a week for the past year. Next week, I start training for my first sprint triathlon. My biggest fear? Being a hairy pakistani dude. WarriorPrincess wants to compete in a kids triathlon this summer.
3. Keeping an organized house. I come from a disorganized family– I know the ‘junk drawer’ all too well. Training myself to create a system that I can work with has been a huge struggle for me, but I’m well on my way to banishing all the ‘junk drawers’ in my house.
4. Money management. With one kid edging toward tween-dom, one kid about to be born, and a couple big purchases coming up (more on that later), it’s become more important to track all of our finances and make sure we’re maximizing our savings.
5. Time management. While my official title is househusband, I do have a part-time work from home gig which makes my balancing act a bit more challenging.
That all being said, welcome back to the web site! For all you loyal fans of the site, I’ve decided to start a giveaway each month. This month, I’ll be giving away the book Love InshaAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women… (MrsHM is one of the contributor’s, remember?) All you need to do is 1. share this post on Facebook (Twitter, if you don’t have a FB account) using the FB button below and then 2. comment here, telling me what you’d like to see on hijabman.com. On Tuesday Morning… UPDATE: On Wednesday afternoon, I’ll pick someone randomly! Oh, feel free to like the FB page as well.
Have a great weekend!
Image1: BinGregory‘s son at the beach in Sarawak, Borneo.
Image2: WarriorPrincess and I on Eid.